Friday, February 4, 2011

Kids These Days

Twelve year old sex bomb
wears lip stick while kissing her 
teddy bear goodnight. 

I work with middle school students, and it sometimes scares me how much they know, but almost as often, I am surprised by how innocent they seem. One minute they are dancing in ways that would usually, in Kansas, only be found along the interstate right outside city limits; and the next, they are whispering to me about holding hands (fingers laced!!) with a boy for the first time. Usually adults' opinions of this stage of child-adolescence-hood fall on one side of the spectrum or the other. They are either corrupt by society, sex-crazed, bullies. Or they are innocent, sweet, and ignorant of the world's evils. But just like most things, I find that, most of the time they fall somewhere in the middle: aware of some adult content but also still loving that teddy bear. Not so different from you and me. Just dressed a little stranger and in need of a little more deoderant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment