Sunday, February 20, 2011

An Ode to my Pancake State

Yeah, it's pretty flat,
but our birds have room to fly
here in the middle. 

Having lived my whole life in Kansas, it is easy for my dreams to drift to the left or right of my central state. Squeezed in between the mountains and the skyscrapers, it can be difficult to find the beauty in these pancake-like surroundings. But today, driving down a midwest highway, it was difficult not to find it. I marveled at the open spaces, the trees, the hills, and sky. sky. sky. sky. sky.

As a kid, my family vacationed in the Rockies in the summer. Every time we left to come home, I would stare out of the back window thinking about how lucky it would have been to be born in such a beautiful place. It is easy to marvel at the beauty you see once a year. But now, I have learned to marvel at the things I see everyday. Seems pretty lucky to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment