Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Malfunction

idea transfer
head to paper, canvas, screen
lost in translation

I have this problem a lot, especially in regards to visual art. I have a mental image of something beautiful, innovative, creative, but as that image moves from my head to my hands, something gets mixed up, and that beautiful mental image turns out looking like it was made by a 4th grader. 

This confusion in transfer could be due to my lack of spacial intelligence, and that is probably a big part of it. But I think it is also due to the fact that I was never told I was good at art or encouraged to keep creating. Of course, left me to be my own judge of my abilities, and my art never seemed to look as good as everyone else's. I am not saying that if I had gotten more smiley stickers on my elementary school art projects that I would now be painting Picasso's. There is definitely some "nature" in that. But maybe if my art skills had been "nurtured" a bit more, I would have the confidence to move my head-ideas a little bit past the 4th grade level when my hands are involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment